The WDA Legislative Advocacy Program
2017 Legislative Session
WDA’s top legislative priorities are indigent defense funding, the Fair Chance Act (Ban the Box), and the Family Unity Act (protection for noncitizen clients). Here are links to the state Office of Public Defense (OPD)’s funding request that would expand the Parents Representation Project (PRP) statewide and to provide salary adjustments for appellate and PRP contract attorneys. The Senate and House budgets will be released in February, so watch your boxes for action alerts supporting WDA and OPD funding.
We Need Your Help
This session is a “long” (100 day) session and already the legislative committee is tracking close to 300 bills. The committee is looking for members to review bills and testify. Please let Christie Hedman (contact info below) know if you are interested in assisting.
The Senate death penalty bill, SB 5354, was introduced last Friday and we are awaiting its hearing schedule. Meanwhile, we would like to thank the lawmakers leading this effort and AG Ferguson. Your message can be as simple as, "Thank you for calling for a vote on repealing the death penalty."
· Senator Miloscia: firstname.lastname@example.org, 360-786-7658
· Senator Walsh: Maureen.email@example.com, 360-786-7630
· Senator Carlyle: Reuven.firstname.lastname@example.org, 360-786-7670
· Representative Orwall: email@example.com, 360-786-7834
· Representative Nealey: firstname.lastname@example.org, 360-786-7828
· AG Ferguson: Click here for contact information
Further information on the legislature and the legislative session may be found at
- State Website: http://www.leg.wa.gov/legislature; or
- Bill information: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/.
If you are interested in participating in the committee or have questions about our legislative program, please contact Christie Hedman at 206-623-4321.